I’ve spent a lot of time this week waiting for parts – yes, for the kiln again. So I’ve been knitting in the interim – there’s something about having your hands busy that’s good for anxiety I think.
I’ve been trying out a few patterns – one that’s great for people with more hair than me is this tam o’shanter. I made it using Elizabeth Zimmerman‘s instructions – right down to blocking it over a very large dinner plate. Mine starts with a band of red Noro silk garden then some dyed, unravelled, charity shop wool. I like the way it’s pretty plain except near the face, where you get the lovely variation of the Noro wool. Noro can be too much in a whole garment.
For my own head, I prefer a very light hat with a square top, and this is the second one I’ve knitted. It looks a lot better in real life, I’m not very good at taking ‘selfies’. I’ve used some lace weight Koigu, left over from a tie, and again, some wool unravelled from a rather horrible 80’s ‘picture’ jumper. The stitch is surprisingly easy:
Row 1: K2 * yo, k1, sk2p, k1, yo, k1 * rep to last st, K1
Row 2: knit.
sk2p is slip 1, k2 tog, pass slip stitch over.
I’ve also been getting work ready for galleries’ Christmas shows, with work being set aside for Cambridge Contemporary Craft, Kellie Miller in Brighton, the Stone Wall Gallery, and the Staircase House in Stockport amongst others. Some of the photos of the work came out well – I hope I can replicate the lighting in future! I’ve recently borrowed a tripod, which has made a lot of difference.